What you’ll be doing?
We’ve collaborated with Sheffield Hallam University to offer a bespoke Higher and Degree Apprenticeship which provides a unique chance for you to develop the qualities and skills to excel in your career in the house-building industry. It’s a great opportunity for those who are looking for an alternative start for their career rather than full-time Higher Education or those who wish to change career direction into a Quantity Surveying role.
Starting in January each year, you’ll join as a Trainee Quantity Surveyor, giving you hands-on experience from day one. You’ll attend 4x 1 week teaching blocks with Sheffield Hallam University each year, though a combination of classroom and online learning. When at the university we’ll put you up in a hotel and cover your food and travel costs.
Over the course of approximately 5 ½ years, you’ll achieve an industry accredited Cert HE & BSc (Hons) Degree in Professional Practice in Residential Development and Quantity Surveying.
Reporting to the Quantity Surveyor/Senior Quantity Surveyor/Chief Surveyor, you will be assisting the Quantity Surveyor in managing subcontractors, materials and goods whilst also preparing and monitoring site costs and conducting build cost analysis and budgeting.
You will be expected to:
- Follow the Higher and Degree Apprenticeship programme , including attendance at 4 x 1 week annual block teaching with Sheffield Hallam University for academic study
- Continue to develop through reviews with your coach and mentor
- Assist the Quantity Surveyor in managing subcontractors, materials and goods
- Assist in the accurate costing and cost control for each aspect of site development
- Assisting with the compilation of all departmental reports and attend meetings as required
- Provide administrative support for the team whilst maintaining relevant filing and database systems
Current vacancies are as follows:
- East Scotland
For more information on our Divisional locations please visit http://www.barrattdevelopments.co.uk/contact-us/divisional-offices/
What you’ll need?
To qualify for a Higher Apprenticeship you’ll need one of the following:
- One A-Level and four GCSEs (C or above, or Grade 4-9) including Maths and English
- BTEC National Qualification
- Advanced Diploma in Construction or Built Environment
- Other access or foundation courses
Those completing the Higher Apprenticeship will automatically be enrolled onto the Degree Apprenticeship following completion, however if you have already obtained one of the following then you may be able to join the Degree Apprenticeship programme directly:
- A Cert HE in a Construction related subject
- HNC in Construction or equivalent qualifications
- Access – at least 45 credits at level 3 and 15 credits at level 2 from a relevant Open College Network accredited course
More experienced entrants without formal qualifications will be considered on merit, taking into account factors such as their work experience, previous qualifications or skills gained from the Armed Forces.
You must have the potential to focus on customer expectation and commercial needs, as well as an understanding of the level of commitment required from you to successfully manage a working role alongside furthering your education.
Our Company and Benefits
We’ve been nationally recognised as a 5 star housebuilder twelve years in a row for supplying high-quality homes for all generations. That’s more than any other major housebuilder. It’s because we combine the brightest minds, the latest technology, and a genuine commitment to putting customers first. We want the best people in the industry to help us shape the future of building. We have tailored opportunities for apprentices, graduates, experienced professionals and ex-Armed Forces personnel to come and help us stay one step ahead, and build the homes that Britain needs.
We are building an organisation where anyone with drive and talent can pursue the career they want. We are building a culture where anyone, regardless of gender, race, sexuality, disability, background or any other characteristic, can progress and be proud to work for us.
As part of working for Barratt Developments PLC and specifically for this role we offer:
- Full time role as a Trainee Quantity Surveyor with the opportunity to progress into leadership roles
- Up to £24,000 salary depending on location and experience. This is negotiable for those who bring management/leadership experience from other industries; for example Armed Forces.
- Competitive Bonus Scheme
- Support in achieving an industry accredited Cert HE & BSc (Hons) Degree Professional Practice in Residential Development and Quantity Surveying – approximately 5 ½ years
- 4 x 1 week annual block teaching with Sheffield Hallam University for academic study
- Fully funded qualification
- Accommodation, breakfast and evening meals paid for when at university
- Work towards professional membership
- One to one academic and business mentoring and development support
- 25 days holiday (increase by 1 day for every 3 years continuous service up to 28 days)
- Choice of Flexible Benefits
- Enhanced Family Friendly Policies