The London Clinic is one of the UK’s largest independently owned non-profit hospital, and we have been providing exceptional care since 1932.
We have 8 premises, where we perform highly complex procedures as well as routine surgery & medicine.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Medical Laboratory Assistant (MLA)to join our Pathology Department, based in Harley Street, London.
To work in sample reception as part of a team supporting and assisting biomedical scientists (BMS) in other areas of pathology when necessary.
Job Type: This is a part-time, permanent post,working an average of 20 hours per week, Monday to Saturday.
Benefits package: We offer a comprehensive package which includes a contribution pension scheme, Private Medical Healthcare, 25days annual leave, season ticket travel loan, and a wide range of discounts with a variety of retailers and services. We also offer excellent career development; with clear career pathways and access to further education.
Duties & Responsibilities
- To undertake preliminary preparation of specimens as required.
- To ensure all requests received in the department are processed promptly and accurately.
- To ensure the prompt dispatch of samples needing to be referred to external laboratories and maintain accurate records of work sent out of the department.
- To receive telephone queries from clients such as consultants, GPs and nursing staff.
- To identify and sort all samples received in sample reception from areas such as the wards, outpatients, GP’s and external sources.
- To label and centrifuge samples in preparation for testing.
- To identify improperly labelled specimens and to deal with them according to the department’s policy. To investigate mislabeled or mislaid samples and inform requester as necessary.
- To charge patient accounts using Meditech.
Skills & Experience
- Pathology or scientific background required
- Previous experience in a medical and preferably pathology departments
- Computer literate
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to work well in a team
Join a supportive and warm working culture, where your contribution is valued,and you can help us deliver our three core values: Caring, Inspiring and Pioneering, which summarise our belief in integrity, compassion and high quality service.We are an organisation that has charitable status and this helps us to drive forward our mission of reinvesting our income to deliver better patient outcomes.
The London Clinic is proud of its diverse workforce and is committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We absolutely welcome applicants from underrepresented groups; if you think you have the skills and experience for the job, please apply – we would love to hear from you regardless of your background